Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Call

Is the bane of my existence. I hate call. I hate my phone. I hate my ringtone, which was the loudest one I could find (I'm a sound sleeper). I hate stupid questions (and yes, they most definitely exist). I will not drive back to the office at 4:45 on a Friday to do your prior auth. Sorry. Oh, GAWD, Jennifer Crazypatient paged again. Did you not get the memo that this is an emergency line? No, I can't schedule your next appointment - docs don't have access to the scheduling system. Call during office hours. Someone in the office called you and you're returning the call? Sorry, I have no clue why she called you - call back during office hours.

I don't mind going in for deliveries - but I prefer them during reasonable hours. I'm happy (sorta) to talk to the ER docs about what to do. I don't mind rounding on weekends - things are usually calm and I chat up the nurses. Frequently I bribe them with a dozen donuts.

But my phone. must. die.

3 comments:

Grumpy, M.D. said...

The development of the 24 hour donut & bagel shop has been a tremendous boon to on-call physicians everywhere.

ER's Mom said...

Oh YEAH! And it's less than a block from the hospital.

Grumpy, M.D. said...

I still draw the line at bringing a cooked-to-order omelet bar.