Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Ch-ch-ch-changes

Am finally free from work. And still waking up at the crack of dawn because of school bus pickup times.  :(  But I don't know where my cell phone is and I don't care.

Hubby has leads on jobs coast-to-coast (and international!). I'm looking up real estate stuff online. I have my favorites, but the job will have to be right for him (although moving back to Boston would be wonderful...have lots of friends there in the metro area). Have also decided not to move during this school year for the kids' sake.

Decided to do some locums work while our plans are fluid. Have one set up for after the new year, filling in for a maternity leave. If it works out well, may continue to do only locums & not set up a permanent practice. I have to admit, having freedom to say "Screw it" is a privilege.

Have a family vacation to Disney set up for the holidays. We may never again have free time like this to enjoy just being a family, so we are taking advantage. The kids are a perfect age - old enough to walk on their own, not need naps but yet young enough to still like us.  ;)

So this is what a sabbatical is like.

3 comments:

Grumpy, M.D. said...

I was named "most likely to be a stay-at-home-dad" in high school. It was what I really wanted to do, and still is. But circumstances dictate otherwise.

A few years ago, though, I took 2 weeks off and did it. It was wonderful.

ER's Mom said...

I'm liking it...I am seriously considering the idea of only locuming on occasion. It's nice to be home when the kids get home, to help them every night with homework.

We've been eating better too - last night was homemade potato soup. The girl says "It was yummy!"

Eileen said...

We took early retirement from the NHS in the UK 2 years ago - yes we have a lot less money but we also need less money (no work clothes, time to cook real food which can be really cheap). Both of us work freelance which I do admit helps the income - but you'll never have a better boss! And if you really can't face it you can always say no! Enjoy!!!!!!!!