Sunday, December 30, 2012

2012

Well, I survived seeing my family at this time of the year. And it means that I get to celebrate...with some nice coffee stout. Lord knows, I've earned it. Believe me, dealing with my nutty mom and my whack-job sister (to quote my DH "There's not enough alcohol in the world for me to deal with your mother") while being pleasant to them...I've earned it. I totally get the Dropkick Murphy's Christmas video that Grumpy posted the other day...

With the penultimate night of 2012 here, it's time to reflect. This is the first year in 6-7 years that hasn't totally sucked donkey balls. '07-'11 were bad years. Full-on stop bad. The "getting kicked while down" type of years. Yes, 2012 was a crazy year, with new jobs and moving. But it is settling down into a familiar place. We like the new town much better than the old place. It's still small-town, but it feels bigger, more cosmopolitan. As my husband points out, minorities live here! For me, the measure is how far away Target is - a mere 15 minutes (next town over) versus over an hour on the freeway. My kids are happier - I'm not sure if it's because I'm working less, they like the environment more, or they can sense that we're happier.

DH has settled into his new job well. As have I. I'm in a mid-sized group - large enough that I'm not always on call, but small enough that we know everyone. Working part-time is a god-send for my sanity as well. Less than 1 weekend per month! WTF?!?!?!?!?!?! They've got my back & I, theirs. I've found my "sister from another mister" in one of my partners - we're both pranksters. The front staff is learning that the two of us together can be a very bad thing.   ;)

Here's hoping that all is good for you in the upcoming year. I'm hoping that 2013 will continue the trend of being a good year...there are some big events in it for me - my 40th birthday, my DD turns 13 (so help me god), my 15th wedding anniversary. Lots for us to look forward to.

No comments: