Friday, March 7, 2014

Scheduling Rules

1. A new patient will NEVER be the first one in the morning or the last one of the day.
---Because they have a higher no-show rate than established patients.

2. 15 minute slots
---for most patients

3. Certain types of appointments get a 30 minute slot or barring that, block a 15 minute slot later in that same half day.
---Certain procedures we do take longer. Removing an Implanon, for example. Fitting a pessary. New patients. These take time.

4. Only 1 pessary FITTING per day. Any number of pessary rechecks allowed.
---Because we only have 1 fitting kit and it takes time to sterilize it between patients. My area of interest is prolapse, so I do most of the pessaries in the group.

5. No back to back paps.
---Not for me, they're easy for me. But it takes my M.A. time to deal with the paperwork associated with paps. Not having them back to back gives her some catch-up time.

6. I have a list of needier patients. They cannot be the last patient of the day.
---I'm selfish and just want to get home. So sue me.

7. Easy stuff (OBs and acute slots) only on my call days.
---Because if I get called out for a delivery, my partners can work them into their schedules. And I return the favor ("Hi! I'm not Dr XX, she's delivering someone...mind if I see you to help you avoid a wait?")

So when you call in and ask for a specific type of appointment, there may be a good reason as to why we can't see you for a few weeks. Please don't take it out on my awesome front staff.

No comments: