Monday, March 28, 2011

Elegy

For one of the forgotten ones.

A body was found yesterday morning here in town. I heard this morning who the supposed victim was, police confirmed her identity today according to the online version of our local paper.

I work with the forgotten ones. The ones people gloss over. MR/DD. Drug-addicted. Dirt-poor...and the cycle of poverty continues generation after generation. She was one of these. Her family had been in town for generations...and for generations had been known as "them."

But she did not deserve what the word on the street said happened to her (lets just say I have insider info...one of my last appointments today was her cousin).

Sometimes, looking at the hot blue hair, the poor dentition (a common P.E. finding on my H&Ps for surgery), we have to remember that behind it is a gal...not too different from myself.

There but by the grace of God...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

thank you...midst abruptions and iufds and yet another baby in cps custody, thank you for being compassionate. having a week like yours, sister...

thatsit said...

And Amen.