Monday, December 14, 2009

Kids say the darndest things, part 2

So we live in rural America, in a super-conservative area. I am a social liberal. I can cloak well, as can DH.

So today, we get a Christmas card machine-signed by the Obamas. We show this to our 9 year old and boy, oh, boy is she IMPRESSED. As in her jaw is wide open and she thinks that we are the bomb to get a card from the White House. I point out that we are probably the only people in the county to get one of these. DH starts laughing. The girl asks "Why?"

I'm trying to explain liberal versus conservative political philosophies and failing miserably.

So she asks "Because people around here don't believe in democracy?"

Oh, kids sometimes nail it without even meaning to do so.

4 comments:

Grumpy, M.D. said...

You have more courage than me to post that. Now you're gonna find out who you're real readers are!

Grumpy, M.D. said...

It's funny, though. The guy I share space with is a diehard red GWB fan, and hung up similar cards with him on it around his office. His staff, who are blue, would always draw moustaches and other items on them, making for some interesting card decorations during the holidays.

Kristin said...

We got a postcard from the Obamas & Bidens after the election, but no Christmas card yet. I am jealous!!! We live in the Bible belt (brought up in Madison, WI tho) & usually try to be polite & bite our tongues. But during a 2+ hour car trip with 2 other moms, when gay marriage came up, I had to say that I was an Episcopalian and our (female) Presiding Bishop says that it's our duty as Christians to love & accept everyone as they come to us, & that I totally agreed & didn't have a problem with other people's sexuality as long as they weren't hurting anyone.

ER's Mom said...

I am sooooo smart. BTW DD here.
DD=Dear Daughter.