Wednesday, April 8, 2009

The optimism of a crocus

Spring is in the air. Today is my scheduled OR day, and I was done dictating my last case before it was supposed to start! Hours ahead of schedule! Great OR day! Listened to the Beatles in the OR, did 2 hysts in 78 minutes total time (anesthesia was impressed).

So I drove home (woo hoo, home before 2 pm!), changed out of my scrubs and started to tend my front raised beds. The folks who had the house before us were master gardeners. I'm not, but I try.

Crocuses are in full bloom now. Purple, yellow, white flowers greeting us and reminding us that life is always continuing. Flowers that come out despite the cold and the snow. Small and delicate.

Daffodils are just starting to bloom. So are my brunneria. My tulips haven't. The hyacinths are considering it. The bee balm, balloon flowers, sedum, irises, and daylillies have the greens showing. The roses put up a good fight, but I trimmed them back (and have the scratches to prove it).

Pulling up dandelions is very satisfying when you get the whole bloody taproot.

No comments: