Thursday, March 4, 2010

My hands

I was looking at my hands the other day. I'm ambidexterous, but use mainly my right hand, as most things in this world are designed for righties.

They are surgeon's hands. Nails short. Unpolished. Multiple callouses - for the right hand, one on the lateral side of my thumb, medial middle finger, and on the web of skin between the third and fourth fingers (where the instrument hits when I palm them). My right middle finger has thickened skin at the tip, which is the finger I use to push knots down, especially in vaginal surgery (it is, after all, the longest finger!)

My left thumb has a mirror callous to its twin. My left index finger has one on the medial edge - right where pickups rub.

My wedding set is currently on the window sill in our kitchen. Haven't worn it in a week. Can't remember the last time I wore a bracelet or a watch.

My hands are relatively small, I wear a size 6, but they can hold so much within them...

2 comments:

Grumpy, M.D. said...

Hands are cool. They can say so much about a person.

rlbates said...

Agree with you and Grumpy. :)