Saturday, May 28, 2011

You can hate me...




This is the view from the back door of our vacation rental recently. Got the whole family including my mother out here.

:)

Friday, we flew. And flew. And flew. Damn, that's a long flight. Good thing United has showtunes to listen to on the flight. :) Got to the island, got the car, drove to the house and collapsed.

Saturday, we explored the town of Hilo. Went to the farmer's market, got fresh fruits including the sweetest, juiciest pineapple I had ever eaten. Grilled out for supper. Used the house's pool and hot tub. Life is good.

Sunday, went to Volcano National Park. THIS WAS FRICKEN AWESOME!!!!! Kileaua is stupendously huge. The lava tube was a fun hike. No surface flow, but still a sight. Pele is quite the artist. Then we drove to Ka Lae, the southern most point in Hawaii, and by extension, the US. Crazy folks were jumping off the cliff into the water (probably about 30-40 feet).

Monday, went exploring in the Puna region. Went to some volcanically heated pools and swam there. Grilled some Ahi for dinner, along with some fresh veggies that we got Saturday.

Tuesday, went horseback riding on a ranch in Kohala. This was amazing scenery. My horse's name was Ula and when we were introduced all I could think of was "Ula dance again!" from The Producers. Ula, evidently, had some strong ideas about how SHE wanted to spend the day. As in she did NOT want me on her back. She bucked and pranced and shook. It's been 25+ years since I've been on horseback, but my legs remembered...adduct them. :) We then went to a luau for dinner. Both kids were impressed by the fire dancing. I introduced my daughter to the concept of eye candy. We both agreed on who the hottest male dancer was.

Wednesday, we did nothing but hang out at the house. Our legs needed to recover.

Thursday, we explored Puna region some more. This time we went to the eastern-most point to check out the purest air. Hiked to tidepools. Explored Hilo some more.

Flew home yesterday...looooooonnnnnnnggggggg flight, made worse by the fact that 2 kids sitting next to me were out of control AND THEIR MOTHER WAS SOUND ASLEEP!!!!! I spent most of the ride correcting them, taking back my son's toys that they had just taken from him, and generally being annoyed by other people's parenting skills.

I don't wanna be on call tomorrow.
*pout*

4 comments:

Lynda Halliger Otvos (Lynda M O) said...

"Some people’s children," my mom used to intone passionately in similar circumstances. No fun at all for anyone with in a few feet of out of control woobers. You have my sympathy and I hope today went well for you.

rlbates said...

You so deserved the wonderful trip. :)

Red Stethoscope said...

Volcano heated pools and teaching your daughter about eye candy? Sounds wonderful and hilarious! Too bad about annoying children on the plane...ugh! I love (LOVE!) children, but let me tell you, when there are bad children in airports/airplanes, I get sooo mad. I'm that passive aggressive stranger shooting looks to parents and making judgments about their parenting skills. (At least I'm not alone? :D)

Solitary Diner (Also Known as The Frugalish Physician) said...

Sounds like a fabulous trip. I loved Hawaii and can't wait to go back.