Friday, July 22, 2011

RIP Aunt Evelyn

4/24/26-7/22/11.

She was the last of the generation. A remnant of my grandma's cohort, she was 6 years younger than my grandma. They were the only two who lived north of the Mason-Dixon line, she settling in Chicago and my family in Michigan. Out of my grandma's 8 siblings, she was the one I knew the best.

As a child, we would go to her house every year for Thanksgiving, making the 4 hour trek to Northbrook. Her corn pudding was wonderful. I learned to make "Magic Marshmallow Puffs" at her house. Wine was plentiful as was the food.

I would occasionally be sent to Chicago to visit her alone, taking either the train or Greyhound. We touristed the town...boat tours, Sears Tower, the beach along Lakeshore Drive. We would go to Marshall Field's and window shop. Play tennis and then stop for ice cream. Road trips to Great America and to Wisconsin.

I last saw her a few years ago at Em's funeral. She looked nothing like the vibrant woman in my memories. A LOL, somewhat cranky and confused as to why the family has gathered again. Alzheimer's is a cruel disease.

She's been dwindling the last few months, with the last couple of weeks being a mercifully quick decline. May she rest in peace.

11 comments:

A Doc 2 Be said...

My sympathies to you and your family. I hope the fond memories continue to be front and center in your heart.

May she rest in peace.

Ad2b

Lynda Halliger Otvos (Lynda M O) said...

My sincere sympathies to you and your family. She sounds like a wonderful person to have grown up knowing.

rlbates said...

So sorry for your loss. I hope you'll share Aunt Evelyn stories with your children. {{{hugs}}}

Grumpy, M.D. said...

Sorry.

terri c said...

May the memories be as a blessing to you. She sounds like a wonderful person.

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry for your loss.

Wick E. Scratch said...

May peace be found, and may peace be with all who loved Evelyn.

Pardon my inappropriateness, but I had to laugh when I read Magic Marshmallow Puffs. I'm still waking up, and read it as Magic MUSHROOM Puffs. I know they'd make my Thanksgivings tolerable.

Solitary Diner (Also Known as The Frugalish Physician) said...

So sorry for your loss.

ER's Mom said...

@Wick - don't worry, my family would be laughing at your misreading of marshmallow. We're weird that way.

And for everyone, thanks. I'm just a niece, her daughters (my cousins) are the ones who need the good vibes.

Kate said...

My heart and thoughts out to you and yours. I'm sorry for your loss.

Anonymous said...

So sorry to hear about your loss. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

I live 15 minutes from Northbrook (the one your speaking of).

WOW!