Saturday, January 7, 2012

Balls in the air

So Mom's doing chemo again before the definitive surgery. Thus far, she has had only 1/2 of the planned doses because her counts plummet and it takes longer than expected for them to recover. And yes, that is with the bone marrow stimulators. So far, she has avoided any major catastrophes, which is an improvement over last time. Her definitive surgery is scheduled for April at Ivory Tower.

Hubby found a job, just barely within commuting distance so we are staying here until the end of the school year. I've accepted a locum-to-permanent job near there, will be starting next month. If I like the group and the hospital, they are open to me working part-time. It's a much bigger group than what I was in, so call is less frequent. The office itself is open from 6am to 6 pm, docs pick what hours work for them...so even on the days that I would work, I could arrange for afternoons to be free for Mommy time. I'm cautiously optimistic that this will be a good spot for me. We are going down there in a few weeks for the weekend to spend time with the docs and their families.

Working on sorting through accumulated stuff. We have a lot of crap. My girl never did like playing with dolls, we have over a dozen Barbies (gifts from people who didn't know her well). I've lost track of the number of Matchbox cars...but I do know that stepping on a stray one hurts like hell. And BOOKS! My husband calls me a printwhore...and I have the bookcases to prove it. Probably should thin them out...



6 comments:

Lynda Halliger Otvos (Lynda M O) said...

Printwhore--I like that. My lady friend calls me paperslut; it's a good one too.

Hope the new position works out for you-sounds good on first read !~!

Grumpy, M.D. said...

You can get rid of my books and bookcases when you can pry them from my cold, dead, hands.

OMDG said...

You should tell your husband that there is no shame in being a printwhore. Or get a kindle. Or both.

rlbates said...

Best to you as you juggle all those "balls in the air"

Anonymous said...

Print whore, love it. And grumps has a point too! My hubby thinks I should get a kindle because he thinks it will decrease the number of bookshelves we own. Ha. In the future, maybe - but I have real trouble thinning out the ones I own now.I start sorting then just end up reading them. Books I won in College... (Jane Austin anyone?)History books... Stupidly sentimental ones.... Even a few really good old national geographics.Even though I might never read, for example, my first year nursing anatomy textbooks again, the thought of them sitting filling space or holding up a wonky table leg in a thrift shop saddens me. (I doubt anyone will want to read them either, to be honest - out of date editions and all that, and you know, the jolly human body evolving so much since the 80's. (-* Do they still actually use textbooks?? I'm so out of date 90% of the time - is it all downloads and apps now??)
Anyway, good luck for all your exciting adventures ahead, sound like this year will be as amazing as you want it to be! Hope your moms treatment does exactly what its supposed to do with no surprises
xKate

ER's Mom said...

I've been looking at Kindles/Nooks, but I LIKE the feel of books. And I like browsing bookstores, reading a chapter or two before buying. And I love the bargain racks at B&N.

My shelves have everything from English history to cookbooks to sci-fi to philosophy. His books are sci-fi, fantasy, American history. Between us, it's a fairly eclectic collection.

Hubby is thrilled because they found a second bookcase for his office - more of his is going there! YAY! Although the girlchild is whining about wanting some of the freed shelves...