Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Med school memories...

I am an auditory learner. This means I had damned near perfect attendance in med school lectures. And I sat near the front.

Second year, we got microbiology. And the majority of the lectures ended up being done by the low man on the totem pole new hire. He was young and relatively hot. Lived in rumpled jeans and rumpled polo shirts. This was not a bad thing, from my POV.

So he would talk about various microorganisms and the awful diseases they could cause. AND EVERY SINGLE TIME the last phrases would be:

"And then you die. And that's bad." Always in the same sing-song cadence.

So for all of the anti-vaxxers out there...remember that.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Our micro lecturer had a tendency to get bored toward the end of his own lectures and quit early. Enjoyed reading through your recent posts.

BTW, you might enjoy this lighthearted jab at "anti-vaxxers" called "New study links childhood vaccines to bad manners later in life." (http://medexaminer.wordpress.com/2012/06/17/new-study-links-childhood-vaccines-to-bad-manners-later-in-life/)

-the Daily Medical Examiner

Grumpy, M.D. said...

I'm a visual learner. I actually went several without going to classes dueing my second year, because I learned better if I just stayed home and read the class notes and textbooks.

Solitary Diner (Also Known as The Frugalish Physician) said...

I'm with Grumpy - I was a much happier person when I realized I could just stay home and study the online notes all day.

As for the microbiologist with the sing-song voice, at my university we had a microbiologist who was obsessed with STIs. At least once every lecture he would say something along the lines of "So it's Friday night, and you've had ten beers at the local dive bar, and you decide to sleep with the not-so-clean-looking person who's been eying you all night. And now you have....GONORRHEA!"