Monday, August 31, 2009

Pharm rep today

So I tend not to like drug reps. Avoid them like the plague.

Get called back to the drug room today (need to witness you signature -- BULLSHIT!). Some rep I don't know is rattling about the newest variation on birth control pills. I don't give a shit. 90% of what I prescribe is Sprintec cuz that's the cheapo pill on Evil Empire's $10/month list. I'm not even sure what Sprintec is generic for... Off topic, another 5% is Apri (generic for Desogen) and the rest is Micronor or Alesse.

So anyways, she prattles on about some note she left on my desk last week. What note...playing dumb will get me far here. So she asks about setting up a dinner meeting with me to discuss Paragard IUDs...I shut that down quickly by saying that I don't take away free time from my family for anything like that.

And yes, that note had been seen last week. And appropriately filed...in the trash can.

9 comments:

Grumpy, M.D. said...

Oh, come on, you could at least have recycled it to save a tree!

Maybe you should buy here the shirt I posted on my site today.

Grumpy, M.D. said...

On another note, years ago I was seeing a OCP sales rep for a neurological issue.

She became pregnant- while using her own product.

ER's Mom said...

I'm guessing that fact is not heavily advertised.

;)

Grumpy, M.D. said...

This is a common phenomenon, at least to my practice.

I currently manage 5 triptan reps for migraines- all of whom have failed their own product and are on a competitors.

And 3 epilepsy drug reps with seizures- all of whom have failed their own product and are on a competitors.

Grumpy, M.D. said...

I agree with you, BTW. I'd rather have cheerios with my kids then their fancy dinners.

I tell them my fee for attending a dinner is $250/hour, paid 24 hours in advance and non-refundable if the dinner cancels.

So far none of them have written me a check, and it's stopped them from asking.

C. said...

They seriously think dinner to listen to pharma babble is enticing. It rather suck my eyeballs out with a shopvac.

thegooddrlaura said...

The fancy dinner thing was enticing in medical school but it didn't last long. The food I cook is better than a lot of restaurant food. I don't need the desert. And I can enjoy a meal at home without having to listen to the lecture. I'll put up with it occasionally, but not too often anymore. P.S. I do not need any more pens or sticky notes, thank you very much.

ER's Mom said...

I only have two drug reps as patients...neither one with any issues.

They are salesmen, no more, no less.

The New Mommy said...

Sprintec is generic for Ortho-Cyclen